Friday, February 8, 2013

Religious Thought 143



A poor devotee points to the sky and says, "God is up there." An average devotee says, "God dwells in the heart as the Inner Master." The best devotee says, "God alone is and everything I perceive is a form of God."
- Ramakrishna
__._,_.___

If you are afraid of pain, if you don't like it, do nothing evil, either openly or in secret. For if you do, even if you get up and run away you won't escape its pain. If you are afraid of pain, if you don't like it, take refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. Train in the precepts. This is good.
- Theri-Gatha, 246-249
__._,_.___

I am the Word of God living through His Essence. I am the Food of the soul, the Spirit of purity. I am the Fountain of the Water of Life. I deliver the lovers of God from death. If your greed had not raised such a stench, God would have poured a remedy of water on your graves. I accept the warning of the Sage; I will not allow my heart to be sickened by ridicule.
- Rumi
__._,_.___

It is not repentance that saves me; repentance is the sign that I realize what God has done in Christ Jesus.
- Oswald Chambers
__._,_.___

The height of the intellect is distinguishing between the real and the impossible, and submission to what is beyond one's power.
- Ibn Gabirol, "Mibhar Hal'eninim"
__._,_.___

No comments:

Post a Comment