Sunday, April 28, 2013

Religious Thought 211



Whatever we see or think about is the manifestation of the Mother, of the Primordial Energy, the Primal Consciousness. Creation, preservation, and destruction, living beings and the universe, and further, meditation and the meditator, bhakti [devotion] and prema [divine love] all these are manifestations of the glory of that Power.
- Ramakrishna
__._,_.___

He whose senses are steadied like stallions well-trained by the charioteer, his conceit abandoned, free of effluent, Such: even devas adore him. Like the earth, he doesn't react-- cultured, Such, like Indra's pillar, like a lake free of mud. For him --Such-- there's no traveling on.
- Dhammapada 7, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
__._,_.___

Since I understood four things, I have discarded all other knowledge. First, that my daily sustenance has already been apportioned to me and will neither increase nor decrease by my futile efforts, so I strive to increase it no more. Second, I alone and no one else can atone from my sins, so I devote myself to the Lord. Third, I know that I will never be able to escape death, which is in our pursuit, so I have prepared myself to meet him. Fourth, I know that God is observing me; therefore I refrain from doing what I must not do.
- Hatim al-Asamm, "The Kashf al-Mahjub"
__._,_.___

Trust the past to Gods mercy, the present to Gods love, and the future to Gods providence.
- St. Augustine of Hippo
__._,_.___

It is good to make a habit of inspiring yourself with a melodyFor the loftiness of melody is beyond all measure.
- Rebbe Nachman of Bratslav
__._,_.___

No comments:

Post a Comment